KNYSNA MUNICIPALITY (KM) – LEISURE ISLE RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION (LIRA) JOINT MANAGEMENT
- Obtain a renewed long term joint management agreement between Knysna Municipality and LIRA for
the Steenbok Nature Reserve (SNR).
SNR MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
- Stakeholder representatives nominated by KM, SANParks, LIRA, SNR Trust.
- Portfolio holders nominated by the Friends of Steenbok Nature Reserve Trust: Finance, Membership,
Communication, Reserve Management and Maintenance, Horticulture, Infrastructure, Public Relations,
Planning and Projects.
FRIENDS OF STEENBOK NATURE RESERVE TRUST
- Rationalise the number of Trustees.
- Revise the Trust Constitution to reflect new Trustee and Management Committee structures.
- Financial Statements and new budget to be prepared by end-September.
- Budget to be reviewed mid-year.
- Recruitment of new members by Committee to increase total by 10% to 330 members.
- Membership database to be updated monthly.
- Daily answering of email correspondence.
- Four Newsletters to be published per year, and one AGM Notification.
- Update two main noticeboards after each Newsletter.
- Post two Facebook articles per week.
- Website with Newsletters and Facebook posts, Children’s section, Fauna and Flora sections and
Factsheets to be updated.
- Maintain good relationships with KM, SANParks, Knysna Basin, LI Boat Club, LI Country Club, general
- Host educational tours for school groups, societies etc.
- Hold fundraising events.
GARDENS AND GRASSED AREAS
- Manage Ivy Garden Services – monthly programming and weekly supervision.
- Co-ordinate and direct KM mowing, trimming and clearing teams.
- Develop new Rogers Way entrance garden.
- Explore option of increasing seawater flow into Salt Marsh.
- Regular maintenance of Boardwalks.
- Erect signage prohibiting dogs from Saltmarsh.
WEST OF TENNIS COURTS
- Ongoing alien and invasive clearing.
- Erect educational signage to discourage walkers, cyclists and dog owners from damaging flora and
fauna in order to restore and preserve the saltmarsh.
- Implement frequent Allsound patrols.
- Improve bins and signage.
- Trim low and invasive vegetation to increase visibility, aesthetic appeal, cleanliness and safety.
- Undertake maintenance as per current environmental authorisation as breakages occur in gunite
- Undertake regular maintenance and weed killing on paved pathway.
- Regular KM mowing and trimming of pathways and towpath.
- KM to be encouraged to pave uneven gravel parking areas outside main entrance to the Reserve.
- Investigate the feasibility of extending wheelchair and disabled access within the Reserve.
- Boat Club toilets to be kept accessible to Reserve visitors.
- Options for toilets for the disabled to be investigated.
- The post-and-rail fencing in the Reserve needs regular repair and maintenance.
- Investigate option of providing fencing to protect sensitive areas.
- Main entrance logo sign to be updated.
- Botanical name signs on trees to be renewed.
- New information sign for Rogers Way Gratitude Garden.
- Faded saltmarsh boardwalk signage to be renewed.
- New educational signage to be erected at Kingfisher Creek and Saltmarsh boardwalk.
- Temporary signs to be used as required and for ‘Dogs in the Reserve’ notifications.
- Reserve map signage to be renewed with new maps.
- New bins and bag dispensers to be monitored and repositioned or additional added as required.
- Management of two cleaners to empty bins and replacing bags.
- Maintenance to continue on existing benches.
- Replacement and new benches to be provided along towpath.
- Quarterly seasonal maintenance and adjustment to be done, with call-outs when required by service
AQUIFER WATERPUMP AND SEEDPOD
- Regular maintenance to be done.
- New SNR map to be prepared with assistance from KM IT Department, for use on noticeboards, signs,
website and brochures.
- Rogers Way slab to be repositioned behind tool shed once OSCAE approval received.
- Implement ‘Dogs in the Reserve’ initiative.